In this blog, we would like to discuss with you the topic of building real world experience through work experience. Internship opportunities are a great opportunity for students to obtain exposure and experience in their desired fields. For high school students, work experience is a great opportunity to obtain a taste of the real world and build skills. Besides part-time work, some companies may also offer high school students internship opportunities. For university students, internships are a great way to gain experience before entering the full-time job market. For university students, work opportunities include in-semester internships, summer internships, and co-ops.
Here are some tips for successfully applying for internships and those seeking co-op opportunities:
1. Get to know your field and industry. Network and connect with professionals in the field. LinkedIn is a great place to find professionals in companies of interest and to contact them.
2. Put your resume together. Here are tips for putting together a strong resume:
- Organize your resume around Academic, Professional, and Volunteer experiences
- For each bullet point, be sure to mention the timeline of involvement, list your role, what you did, what you accomplished, quantify your achievements, and quantify the impact you had in your role
- Continue to build on your leadership and volunteer activities and update your resume
3. Put your cover letter together. These are the questions to answer in the cover letter:
- Who are you
- What role are you applying for
- Why are you applying to this role
- Why are you interested in this company / role
- What do you know about the company / who have you spoken to / networked with regarding the role you’ve applied for
- What qualifications / relevant experiences/ skills do you have that will make you a good candidate for the role
Once you have put your resume and cover letter together, you should be in a good place to be able to start applying for internships and jobs of your desire!
Stay tuned for more ways by which you can increase your changes of obtaining your desired job or internship!
All the best,